Supporting Quality Childcare in Galway
The HSE Pre-School Services Department, the Galway City & County Childcare Committee and the Childcare Providers Forum work in collaboration on an ongoing basis in an effort to improve the quality of childcare available locally.
Supports available to childcare providers at local level include:
Ongoing in-service and accredited training facilitated by Galway City & County Childcare Committee in conjunction with the VECs, FÁS, HSE and the National Voluntary Childcare Organisations (in Galway City and County approximately 90% of all staff in notified Child Care Services have accredited childcare training)
- * Assistance to providers to access funding to enhance and improve childcare premises
- * Assistance to providers in developing policies and procedures to improve quality
- * Collaboration with HSE Pre-school Inspectors to support existing services to meet the childcare regulations
- * Workshops provided on the most common breaches encountered in childcare services, to enable them to meet regulations.
- * Advisory visit to support existing services, by HSE Preschool Inspectors and Galway City & County Childcare Committee staff
- * Theme Boxes and Resource Library
- * The Annual Childcare Conference, in November 2006, hosted by the Galway City & County Childcare Committee in conjunction with the HSE and the Childcare Providers' Forum, will focus on the newly revised Pre-School Regulations and their implementation in childcare services.
Parents should give careful consideration to the type of service they want for their child and how they will measure the quality of care their child will receive. The following supports are available to parents:
- * Pre-School Inspectors encourage parents to view a copy of the most recent inspection report when they visit a prospective service.
- * Choosing Childcare: A Parent's Guide Video and Information Booklet available from HSE Preschool Services and Galway City & County Childcare Committee
- * List of childcare providers notified to the HSE Preschool Services
- * List of School-Age childcare services on the Galway City & County Childcare Committee database.
- parents to access Voluntarily Notified Childminders through the Childminder Advisory Officer
The Galway Childcare Providers' Forum is made up of six elected members representing more than 400 childcare services in Galway City and County. Three of the Forum members are members of the Board of Galway City & County Childcare Committee. The role of the Forum is to identify needs and issues within the childcare sector to be addressed by the Galway City & County Childcare Committee.
For further information on supports available to childcare providers and parents please contact Galway City & County Childcare Committee, tel: 091-752039, firstname.lastname@example.org or HSE West Preschool Services, tel: 091-771928, Preschool.Services@mailn.hse.ie